As I am from Mumbai, I chose to target the Mumbai audience. I planned out to survey in schools of 3 categories where the Rich, middle class and poor, all the three financial category children could be surveyed.
The name of the schools I surveyed are:
1) St. Xavierse Boys Academy
2) The New Era High School
3) Fellowship School
4) Aryan School
The schools of different categories were chosen to know if the usage of high tech equipments and modernization affecting the importance of the Traditional Games, as these points will differ with the financial standard of people.
A) St. Xavierse Boys Academy, The New Era School (kind of schools):
These schools are located in the centre of town where the people are aware of high-tech equipments and modernization has changed the lifestyle of people. The education and extracurricular activities are given equal importance. Due to high fees, the children who belong to rich class come there whose upbringing and choice of interest differ from that of other class people.
- In schools they do have P.T period.
- They have P.T period two times a week in average.
- The professor makes them do exercise and play games.
- In schools they play games like :
- Basket ball
- Volley ball
- Kho kho
5) They used to play the Indian traditional games like kho kho/ Langadi in earlier standard and kabadi may be just once.
6) They most of the time play football or cricket in schools. Girls prefer playing basketball or badminton in their break period.
7) 70% of students used to play video games and watch television for 2 hours a day in average.
8) 50% of the students use computer for communication purpose. 70% of students use it for communication and for playing games.
9) 35% children like to see television for knowledge where as 65% of children use it for entertainment.
10) After going home 70% of students have place to play in compound where they play cricket or football, and girls would be playing badminton.
11) On asking them if they know the traditional games of India, they shocked me with their answer. They all knew almost all the games I asked them. BUT, they were not at all interested to play them.
12) The reason for not playing such games were:
a) They do not find anyone around playing these games.
b) They find these games too outdated and they like changes.
c) They are scared of getting themselves hurt by playing these games as the place might be less or if space then rough flooring.
d) They do not exactly know how to play them.
e) They feel shy if they play them as nobody plays.
f) They like other games as they find them crazy and fun than these.
g) Even in schools, P.T teacher introduce the games but does not give more attention of making them play.
h) They like cricket, football and tennis more as they see matches on television and they have a lot of fun seeing India winning. This adds on to the enthusiasm to the game.
i) Even in tournaments 100% of students only take part in football, cricket, volleyball etc. but not kabadi, kho kho.
A) Fellowship School :
Fellowship school is a school where the students belonging to the middle class family come. They do have computer at home but it is shared by the entire family. Very few have I pads. Even the parents are strict and do not let them sit on computer for more than an hour. Their ranking is average rated school.
1) They play games like Cricket, Football, Volley ball, skating races, kho kho, langadi, and kabaddi.
2) They have P.T period three times a week for 35 minutes.
3) In P.T period their sir makes them do exercises and play games.
4) They know almost all the Indian traditional games I asked, and they have even played some of them in school. But yet they are not interested personally to play them because of the same reasons that they find them outdated.
The reasons stated in the above case (St. xavierse boys Academy/ The New Era School) follows here too.
B) Aryan School :
In the case of Aryan School, the students belonging to the poor class category comes. The fees of the school is also very low which is suitable for the student’s family. Because of which it gets tough for the school to give them the facilities what the above three schools can provide.
1) They have P.T period 3 times a week and 15 minutes every day in the morning.
2) Their P.T teacher makes them exercise and play games as in other schools.
3) They play games like Cricket, Football, Kho Kho, Kabaddi, Langadi tang, Satoliya and rumal dao.
4) In this school 80% of the crowd have television and 40% have computer.
5) They use computer and television for entertaining as well as education purpose.
6) They live in chawl system and few in slums where they do not get to enjoy more privacy. They have a lot of friends around.
7) At home also they play these games as that is how they pass their time in absence of television and computer. But cricket is any time played more.
8) They know the games of India.